Hunter Insurance Agency History
Howard and Joy Hunter founded Hunter Insurance in 1962 and moved the agency to its current location in 1966. Warren Wheeler served as agency president from 1988 to 2012 when he was succeeded by current president Dan Hunter. Agency owners Ellen and Dan Hunter are proud to be carrying on such a long tradition of professionalism and service in Medina County.
Howard Hunter 1926-2015
Joy Hunter 1927-1999
Did you know that Hunter Insurance had an office dog from the late 60s through the 70s? The legendary Samantha is depicted above. Crosby, our current office dog, has big paws to fill!
Hunter Insurance Agency’s logo was originally created by noted Medina artist Elmer Zarney. This early version, hand-painted by Elmer over 50 years ago, still hangs in our office foyer.
The Hunter Agency is exceedingly proud of its long-standing relationship with Westfield Insurance Company…58 years and counting! Westfield’s traditional award to agents with 25 years of service is a statuette representing the company’s historical “Old Man on the Fence” symbol. Our agency has garnered SEVEN “Old Men” over the years, presented to Howard Hunter, Joy Hunter, Warren Wheeler, Dave Chase, Jim Hunter, Dan Hunter, and most recently, Nancy Mesavage. Nancy is shown here receiving her award in 2015 from Westfield Agency Specialist Melissa Kahl. Two other current agency staffers earned “Old Men” for accruing 25+ years of service as Westfield employees, all before joining Team Hunter: Joyce Hillrich and Mary Hontert.
Howard at work in the early days at
703 North Court Street.
Our agency home at 703 North Court Street was originally built around 1905. The old house had been quite an eyesore for several years when it first caught Howard Hunter’s attention and he envisioned it as a great location for his fledgling business. “I thought How was out of his mind!” Joy Hunter recalled when asked about the 1965 building purchase. Hunter Insurance officially moved to North Court Street on January 1, 1966. The Hunter family had living quarters in the building from 1967 till 1977 when the expanding agency finally nudged them out. A series of extensive remodeling projects in the 60s, 70s and 80s transformed the place into the homey, comfortable office it is today.
See our About Hunter page and our Staff Directory page.